North London: A Walk

0 Comments

There's a quotation inscribed at the top of Primrose Hill written by William Blake.

"I conversed with the spiritual Sun. I saw him at Primrose Hill."

Immediately after leaving the Belsize Park tube station in North London, I felt a calmness within me that I had yet to feel since getting here. Sure, the constant thrum of engines and voices filtering through my window is quite an intense difference between CH and London. But as quiet as it can get back home, there was something different about this silence. It had a natural sort of reticence; I was almost afraid of making too much noise.

After grabbing a tea from Chamomile Cafe (which is a definite must-try if you're ever in the Hampstead area), I set off. There was nothing in particular that stood out to me other than the intricacy of some of the buildings, but it was very evident that it was a very family oriented area. Relatively deserted for the most part, probably due to the fact that it was the middle of the day on a Thursday.

It was Eid-ul-Adha that day, and I was alone. I thought that my first time experiencing the holiday by myself would bring nothing but sadness. And as I kept walking I had a fleeting thought that maybe that would hold true. But then I saw the sign for Primrose Hill Road and something pulled me down that way. When I came to the entrance of the park - a modest little gate that sits just at the bottom of the north side of the hill itself - I kept going.

Climbing up wasn't a struggle, but I took my time. It was only until I saw the looking point with a few people sitting on the benches. Curious, I soldiered on.

You can see all of London from that hill. The Eye, the tips of Parliament, the Shard. It's breathtaking. It's ethereal.

After taking a few photos of the skyline I sat down. The quotation was stuck in my head - I found myself wanting to have a conversation with the sun. And then it came - no, it arrived. It made a grand entrance with supreme extravagance. And on a day that I was truly alone, I found warmth in the sunshine.

"I conversed with the Spiritual Sun. I saw him at Primrose Hill."






Post a Comment